Sunday, June 30, 7:00 – 9:00PM
Monday, July 1, 7:00 – 9:00PM
The Broadview Heights Spotlights Theater will hold auditions for Neil Simon’s comedic farce, Rumors, on Sunday, June 30 and Monday, July 1 from 7:00 – 9:00PM.
This farce takes place in a large New York City townhouse where the Deputy Mayor has just shot himself on the evening of his tenth wedding anniversary party. The victim’s wife is nowhere in sight, and his lawyer tries to convince his own wife to get “the story” straight before the other guests arrive. Confusions and miscommunications mount as the evening spins off into classic farcical hilarity.
The show will be directed by Dan Sekanic and will run August 23 – September 7. Rehearsals will begin in mid-July. Auditioners are asked to bring a list of conflicts from July 7 to September 7. Auditions will consist of readings from the script. Rumors contains mature language and content with which those auditioning should be familiar and comfortable.
Questions may be emailed to the director at email@example.com.
- Ken Gorman – (40) A well-to-do lawyer. Wealthy, but by no means pretentious. Takes charge of the situation. Married to Chris. Halfway through the show, a gunshot causes his temporary deafness.
- Chris Gorman – (mid-30’s) Another lawyer, married to Ken. Beautiful, easily flustered. Frantically tries to maintain normalcy at the party. Has recently quit smoking, which drives her to drink a bit more. Lenny
- Ganz – (Late 30’s, early 40’s) – A wealthy accountant, distraught over the recent destruction over his new car. Starts the show with an extreme case of whiplash. Intolerant of the gossipy-lifestyle that he is often involved in.
- Claire Ganz – (Late 30’s) – Ganz’s wife. Very concerned with appearances (hers and others’). Starts the play with a swollen lip. Likes to gossip.
- Ernie Cusack – (Early 50’s) – a psychiatrist. Affable, smokes a pipe. Loves his wife very much. Tries to be as helpful as possible cooking the evening’s dinner.
- Cookie Cusack – (40’s) – has her own cooking show. Suffers from extreme back spasms. Loves her husband very much. A bit absent-minded at times.
- Glenn Cooper – (30-40) A handsome man running for State Senate. Worried about his own reputation. Struggles with placating his wife, who is convinced he is having an affair (which he may or may not be).
- Cassie Cooper – (late 20’s, early 30’s) Glenn’s beautiful wife. Obsesses over her husbands’ relationships with other women. Quick to anger. Must rub her quartz crystal to calm herself down.
- Officer Welch (M) – (30-50) – A city police officer having a rough night. Does not tolerate lying. Sees through the “classy” façade that these high-society types put up.
- Officer Pudney (F) – (20-30) – Welch’s partner. A strong but silent type.