Auditions for Be More Chill
Summer Youth Production
Monday, April 23 from 7:00 – 9:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 24 from 7:00 – 9:30 p.m.
The 2018 Broadview Heights Spotlights Summer Youth Production, Be More Chill, is based on the novel by Ned Vizzini. The show’s music and lyrics are by Joe Iconis, and the book is by Joe Tracz. The main character is Jeremy, an average teenager. That is, until he finds out about “The Squip” – a tiny supercomputer that promises to bring him everything he desires most: a date with Christine, an invite to the raddest party of the year and a chance to survive life in his suburban New Jersey high school.
Auditions will be held on Monday, April 23 and Tuesday, April 24 from 7:00 p.m – 9:30 p.m. No appointment is necessary, but those auditioning should arrive at least an hour before the scheduled end time. Invited callbacks, if necessary, will be held by special arrangement later that week. Rehearsals will begin the week of April 29.
The show runs June 21 – July 1.
The show will be directed by Tim Anderson and music directed by Ryan Bergeron.
Performers (ages 13 to 20) are invited to audition. The show contains adult language and themes, and those auditioning and their parents should be familiar with the material before auditioning.
Those auditioning should:
- Plan to attend only one night of auditions.
- Be familiar with the show and its music, language, and themes.
- Prepare two one-minute, contrasting songs (one up-tempo, one ballad), at least one of which should demonstrate a contemporary vocal style.
- Bring sheet music in the correct keys, hole-punched in a three-ring binder. Singers will not be permitted to sing a cappella.
- Bring a list of conflicts between April 29 and July 1 (including all school concerts, lessons, practices, games, family obligations, etc.).
Additional questions may be sent to the director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jeremy Heere is just an average teenager. That is, until he finds out about “The Squip” – a tiny supercomputer that promises to bring him everything he desires most: a date with Christine, an invite to the raddest party of the year and a chance to survive life in his suburban New Jersey high school. But is being the most popular guy in school worth the risk? This musical is based on the novel of the same name by Ned Vizzini.
- A detailed summary of the musical is available on Wikipedia (Spoilers)
- A detailed summary of the novel is also available on Wikipedia.
- YouTube Playlist of the Original Cast Recording with Lyrics.
Jeremy Heere, awkward high school junior
Christine Canigula, high school theatre girl, sweetly dorky
Michael Mell, Jeremy’s music-obsessed best friend
Jake Dillinger, high school awesomeness personified
Rich, five-feet, five-inches of teenage bully
Chloe, the hottest girl in school, crass and confident
Brooke, the second hottest girl in school, insecure
Jenna Rolan, that girl who knows everyone’s business
Jeremy’s dad, never wears pants.
The Squip, the supercomputer in Jeremy’s head.
*The production team may choose to cast a small, featured ensemble.